Lima, Peru Temple

Lima, Peru Temple

Monday, September 22, 2014

September 22, 2014

Hello everyone,

It’s been pretty nice here in Cusco this week. I’m still trying to memorize everyone’s names and where they live but that shouldn’t take too much longer.

Anyway to first answer your questions, in my house we basically have power for light and charging things and water. Like I said before, most people here in Peru don’t have heating or air conditioning in their houses. And I think it’s like that for basically all of Peru. Even our mission President had to get heat installed in his house. However, we do have an electric heater that we can plug in if it ever gets too cold. Also, our shower broke Tuesday and so we've had to take cold showers this whole week. We didn’t  have any zone fund to fix it but tomorrow we will receive some money for that.

Also, I’m not sure the names of the dishes we eat here. Basically, the main difference is that here they actually are not limited by ingredients. Something I noticed, though, with people in little towns is not only is it a hard lifestyle but it also makes the people hard. I’ve definitely noticed that people here in Cusco are a lot more open and personable. That may also be because they are more educated as well. So needless to say, the members here are a lot more active in the church with their callings as well as helping us out. And I do think people here are probably more receptive but that still has yet to be seen because I still don’t know Cusco all that great.

And no, I have not gotten lost yet. This is mainly because my companion knows Cusco pretty well so I don’t need to worry all that much. Well, as for Chinese, I only know a few words. It’s pretty hard to learn, especially because the guy teaching it to me is teaching it to me in my second language that still isn’t that great right now. But my comp is a really cool guy. He grew up in China and didn’t move here until he was 15 so his first language is Chinese. And to find out about my old investigators, I can just call my old comp.

I still don’t know much about Cusco because I’m isolated to my sector except for p-days. Also my sector is in a little valley looking out on Cusco. So I still have a lot to get to know here. Last week though we did go to an Incan museum and that was really cool to look at some old artifacts as well as read some history about the Incan race.

Right now, the person we have progressing the most is a mom of 4 kids, I think. All her kids are members except for one who is preparing for baptism. She would like to get baptized with her son, the only problem is that she is not married to her husband. However, they do not live together because he works in Madre de Dios and only can visit a few days every few months. So I think we can baptize her. Also last night we were talking to her husband too and he sounds pretty interested.

Anyway, that’s about all I can think of for this week. I love you all and until next week.

Elder Halverson


No comments:

Post a Comment